Launched at the 1935 Motor Show, the MG SA represented a new departure for MG. The first all-new model to be introduced since the companys acquisition by Morris Motors, it was considerably larger than any previous MG and caused a certain amount of consternation amongst enthusiasts who feared an abandonment of virtues embodied by the marques nimble sports cars. They need not have worried, for although based on the Wolseley Super Six and aimed at the luxury car market, the SA received sufficient input from MG founder and designer Cecil Kimber to transform it into a car worthy of the famous octagon badge. Originally of 2,026cc, the overhead-valve Wolseley six had been enlarged to 2,288cc by the time SA production commenced and was further stretched to 2,322cc in 1937. With 75bhp propelling a car weighing around a ton-and-a-half, acceleration was necessarily leisurely nevertheless, the SA could cruise comfortably at 60-70mph and had a genuine top speed approaching 85mph. By the time production ceased in 1939, 2,738 SAs of all types had left the factory.