Back to search results

1939 TALBOT LAGO T150C - £POA

  • Aetv23021664 1
  • Aetv23021664 2
  • Aetv23021664 3
  • Aetv23021664 4
  • Aetv23021664 5
  • Aetv23021664 6
  • Aetv23021664 7
  • Aetv23021664 8
  • Aetv23021664 9
  • Aetv23021664 10
  • Aetv23021664 11
  • Aetv23021664 12
  • Aetv23021664 13
  • Aetv23021664 14
  • Aetv23021664 15
  • Aetv23021664 16
  • Aetv23021664 17
  • Aetv23021664 18
  • Aetv23021664 19
  • Aetv23021664 20

The history of Talbot reads like a boys own book. Going back to the early 30's of the last century, France was waiting to patiently for the depression that had hit America to land on its frontstep. In 1932 the crash came and by 1933 all of Talbot's capital had evaporated. The Italian born successful business man Anthony Lago was sent over to France by the British co-owners to salvage the ship from going down. Between 1933 and 1935 Lago worked tirelessly to obtain full rights to Talbot. By the end of 1934 the deal was done. Meanwhile Lago had secretly started to plan for a whole new line and engines. The British of course were kept in the dark to avoid inflating the asking price. He had decided to discontinue a number of models, further develop others and think up completely new ones. The onward engine and transmission development included the introduction of the Wilson pre-select 4-speed transmission. The choice for this particular gearbox wasn't that surprising considering Anthony Lago owned the patent for this piece of technology. From 1933 Lago worked with Joseph Figoni on developing a new chassis, a gamble that would pay off richly in years to come. Talbot, as opposed to his competitors like Delahaye, was able to fabricate his own bodywork. In those days it was totally normal to buy your choice of rolling chassis and get your favourite coachbuilder to finish the car by making the bodywork. It was therefore then quite advanced to be able to do everything in house at Talbot's plant in Suresnes near Paris. The 1934 Paris car show sported a stunning Talbot convertible with coachwork by Figoni. The car proudly showed off the Figoni logo and would stand model for future Talbot- Lago's with factory bodywork. Shortly afterwards the car was introduced as the Talbot-Lago T150 C aka the 'Lago Special'. The T150C was built on a totally new chassis. Thanks to the secret work by Lago and his team, Talbot-Lago we able to hit the ground running once the takeover had been completed. The cars would henceforth be know as Talbot-Lago's. The Talbot-Lago T150 C came in two versions. The Super Sport (SS) and the standard version. The SS had a shorter chassis aimed at the sports driver community. The standard was essentially used to receive a luxurious coach either built by Talbot-Lago or another coachbuilder. The T150 C was an extremely advanced car for its day. Talbot-Lago fitted the T150 C with a number of pioneering features. The T150 C had an extra large sump to keep temperatures in check, a high-compression engine, ultra-modern independent front suspension as well as very advanced drum brakes all-round. The weight difference between the standard T150 C and the SS was only 130 kg. The T150 C chassis weighing just 950 kg. The new 4 litre straight-six developed 140 Ps in the standard version. Only the Bugatti Type 57 with its supercharged engine was a faster alternative. The Talbot T150 C and T150 C SS were by far one the very best built, quickest and best handling cars on the market. Anthony Lago was quick to spot that racing was an excellent way in which to promote the brand. Race on Sunday, sell on Monday, seems to be as old an adage as the car itself. Lago brought Ren Dreyfus in to lead the newly formed Talbot-Lago racing team. For the 1937 French Grand Prix Dreyfuss was given one goal and that was to stay ahead of the Bugatti's for as long as possible, anything else would be a distraction. Dreyfuss seemed to be the right man for the job. Talbot-Lago appeared with three car at the starting line-up and only at the end of the race did they have to let the Bugatti's through due to mechanical issues. Bugatti won but all three Talbot-Lago's finished in the top 10. The next year the team really hit the mark. The 1938 French Grand Prix saw the Talbot-Lago's finish one, two, three and fifth. That was the start of a series of victories with Talbot-Lago taking the Tourist Trophy at Donnington and winning the Monte Carlo Rally of 1938. In the 38/39 season the Talbot-Lago's were usually unable to defeat the Germans in their Auto-Unions and Mercedes, but scored well thanks to good reliability with the occasional win if the others went belly up. In a few years Anthony Lago had managed to transform the moribund Talbot into one of the most prestigious car brands in the world. In 1938 Figoni's original concept was modified and became known as the series II. The redesign was intended to be more user friendly and easier to produce. The amount redesigning was considerable. The sides were simplified and the hood was resituated on top of the boot instead of in the boot to provide more luggage space. The business savvy Lago quickly seized the opportunity to make a lot more money by offering accessories. The aerodynamic and patented Figoni grille was one option. If a client opted for this, the grille was made by Figoni and fitted by Talbot-Lago, as is the case with our car which sports this very rare grille. Walter Becchia had already been Pet

  • 1032 Miles
  • Transmission 69197354786223e29b85070a0695cc247a4c2b215c743673c2d02e864b4cd687 MANUAL
  • Steering ca68a9643bbb915d30839040f432af59e679db8cf98e23a4378cbef2ed805059 RHD
  • RefCode: AETV23021664