1925 ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM 1 - £150,000
An evolutionary design, the Rolls Royce New Phantom made its public debut at the companys Conduit St, London showrooms in 1925. Based around a leaf sprung (semi-elliptic front, cantilever rear) ladder frame chassis that was nigh on interchangeable with that of its Silver Ghost predecessor, it benefitted from an all new push rod operated, overhead valve 7668cc engine. Famed for its flexibility and silence this 6 cylinder unit was capable of propelling the Phantom I as it became known from 6mph to 94mph in top gear. This big Rolls Royce was revered all over the world for its refinement and build quality. This car is still in excellent condition, as can be seen in the photos, and the running gear kept in first class condition. It is a beautiful car. The Rolls Royce assembly tickets show the car was ordered by Mrs J Kearsley-Mitchell of the Hotel Crillon, Paris in 1925. She chose to have it fitted with coachwork by the famous Derham Body company of Rosemount, Pennsylvannia and to this end it left the London Docks on 27th August 1926 aboard the N.W. Miller. The Derham Companys other clients at the time included Stalin, Pope Pius Xi, King Farouk, Eisenhower and Gary Cooper. Resident in Paris during 1927, the Phantom was treated to a new tappet, Autovac restriction elbow, and Servo Damper Unit that summer. It returned to New York where it was treated to a new 18 gallon petrol tank and distributor brush by Rolls Royce America in October 1928 and December 1930. It was acquired by Mr Walter Spickard of Tuckerton, New Jersey sometime thereafter. He had the car extensively restored by Henrys Antique Car Shop of Oceanville, New Jersey between 1974 and 1976. Imported to the UK it was bought by Mr Brotherton from Ivor Bleaney of the New forest on 20th July 1995. It was described at the time as a rare Sedanca de Ville Town Car with coachwork by Derham. It has been regularly maintained since by expert Rolls Royce mechanics. Finished in grey over black, its external appearance is heightened by twin side mounted spare wheels, a rear luggage trunk and a fabric roof. Trimmed in a mixture of Black leather (front) and grey velvet (rear), the sumptuous interior boasts such niceties as a wind up glass division, an interdepartmental telecom system, window blinds, foot rests and occasional seats. The woodwork is Macassar Ebony of the highest quality. It is in excellent condition and accompanied by RREC copy tickets and chassis cards, copious progress reports, invoices, and the V5C registration document. It has covered a scant 93,000 miles in 94 years. The car drives very well and is a joy on the roads attracting much attention. The present owner, Scott Younger of Walberton, West Sussex, bought it in 2015 and has kept it well maintained with very regular checkups.
- 93412 Miles
- RefCode: AETV79818924