1949 HRG 4 SEATER ROADSTER - £56,000
1949 HRG Four Seater Sports Car
Registration number: 375 YUP
Chassis number: W185
Vintage & Prestige Classic Cars are delighted to offer for sale this unique 1949 HRG Four Seater Sports Car.
Manufactured in 1949 and registered in 1951 this car was transported to Australia as a bare chassis, running gear and engine. The body was designed by Gordon Stewart of Sydney and constructed by Brown and Durreau of Melbourne. It is the only four seater HRG in existence.
In 1936 Major Edward HALFORD, Guy ROBINS and Ron GODFREY set up the HRG Engineering Company in Tolworth Surrey. Only 241 of these hand-built beauties were made until production halted in 1956, all to the pre-war specification. It is thought that 225 survive.
Known as The Gentlemans Racer HRG have considerable racing pedigree. Driven by Peter Clark and Marcus Chambers the works team raced under the name of ECURIE LAPIN BLANC (White Rabbit Stable) with successes, amongst others, at: Le Mans (1st in 1500 cc class in 1939), Chimay and the Isle of Man. Some cars still continue to compete.
In 1948 Chambers was 4th at Chimay, and HRG won the team prize in the Spa 24-hour race, where team leader Peter Clark had the cars equipped with two-way radios for communication between the drivers and the pits. Innovative at the time, radio communication is common in racing today.
The team prize again went to HRG at Spa the following year. Also in 1949, the 1.5 litre class at Le Mans was won for the second time by an HRG, driven on this occasion by Eric Thompson and Jack Fairman.
Looking not unlike a pre-WW2 Aston Martin or Lagonda, this machine was reputedly rallied by multiple Australian Grand Prix winner Doug Whiteford and Reg Nutt before Brown & Dureau sold it to John P. Ward of Toorak on 21st February 1952. Thereafter, the HRG passed through the hands of Alexander Fraser, Archibald Johnston Jnr (who used it to contest the Moomba Tourist Trophy at Albert Park on March 26th 1955), Francis Kolbe, Alroy Car Sales, Michael Thomas, Lesley Palmer, Le Mans Motors and David Eggleton. The latter acquired chassis W185 on 7th August 1956 and kept it for over fifty years. Laid-up during the 1960s and displayed at the National Automobile Museum of Tasmania for a time, the HRG had been partially restored by the time it finally left Mr Eggleton's care in 2009. Mechanically overhauled, rewired, repainted and reupholstered by the time that previous keeper Keith Barker of Henley-on-Thames repatriated it five years ago, the four-seater was further improved during his tenure. Entrusted to Total Trim Solutions of Thatcham, the HRG gained a new hood, tonneau, hood bag and sidescreens (£5,815), while Fenn Motor Works Ltd of Reading overhauled its starter motor (£634.40). Marles Steering Boxes of Hamnish supplied a new steering wheel, steering wheel boss and steering box complete with pitman arm (£6,054) not to mention five new Avon Tourist 550 x 16 tyres (£885). The same company got the dampers working properly and machined new hubs for the rear axle (£3,270). Benefiting from attention to its radiator and water pump since entering the current ownership in August last year, `375 YUP'pleasingly retains its factory-fitted chassis, 1500cc Singer engine, gearbox and differential. Illustrated on p.318 of Mr Dussek's marque history, it is offered for sale with original Australian Owner's Certificate (dating from 1951), UK V5C Registration Document and numerous bills / invoices. An elegant and extremely rare sportscar!
Perhaps the greatest appeal of the HRG is that few examples were ever built and no two cars were the same.
Extensive photos will be taken of the car once it arrives with us.
A gallery of large high-resolution pictures may be viewed on our website.
Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037
We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST
- 71000 Miles
- RefCode: TA1101038