1988 ALFA ROMEO SPIDER Veloce S3 - £15,995
There can be few more stylish yet under valued Italian sports cars than an Alfa Spider in this colour combination.
Owned by us for almost 4 years, this immaculately restored example is one of the best Spiders on the market today and has been cosseted like the rare beauty it is. Sadly, lack of use brings us to the conclusion it should go to a home where it is given an airing more often. This year's mileage is about 200 miles....last year it was just 500.
Originally sold in Germany, our Spider was imported into the UK in the 2000's..where it was treated to a very expensive restoration costing far more even than the car's current value. In the exact words of the previous owner who carried out the restoration:
"The following occurred with no expense spared
1. We started a recycling company in Blaenavon South Wales in 2006 and she sat in the factory for a couple of years
2. I removed the engine and gearbox and rebuilt them and the engine bay in 2008
3. The engine was reinstalled in 2010 and she was taken Autolaque in Abergavenny where a guy called Steve Coumbs stripped the whole car as you can see in the photos
4. I bought all original Alfa panels for the rebuild; 2 front wings, floor panels, inner and outer sills, front and rear valance, spare wheel well etc
5. She was in Autolaque for three years and had a full rebuild and respray with the original colour, three coats of primer two coats of white and one coat of clear laquer.
6. We used the car for a couple of years
7. In 2013 she was sent to Benalfa in Wiltshire where all of the suspension and steering bushes and joints were renewed and new shock absorbers fitted
8. She then went to Southwest auto trimmers who done the upholstery
9. She won first prize in best 80s classic at the Malvern classic car show in 2013
10. We moved house in 2014 to a small hamlet near Leominster Herefordshire and the house needed extensive work
11. The Spider was sold via Brightwell auctions in Leominster "
Since 2011, the car has only done 2400 miles. The original service book is compete with 8 stamps whilst it was in Germany and we have the original German registration document and some other original paperwork including the Alfa Romeo instruction book in the original Alfa leather folder.
Unlike some other cars, our Spider retained its LHD configuration and is all the better for it. The RHD conversion adds sloppiness to the controls and on a cherished car, driving on the left is almost an advantage. You can be sure of your position next to the kerb and being relatively narrow compared with modern cars, there is always plenty of room on the other side.
Part of this car's appeal is its amazing pure white paintwork, done to a very high standard, making the car stand out like few others we have seen. The contrasting red leather seats and trim make this surely the best colour combination for any classic Alfa. A beautiful classic wooden and aluminium Nardi steering wheel is complemented by the wooden gear knob.
The hood, in as good a condition as the rest of the car, is rarely used as this is a car which is never driven in the rain and was designed for roof down driving.
Mechanically, our Spider is as sweet as it should be from a full rebuild not many miles ago. The classic Alfa twin cam with its alloy rocker box covers is a work of art in itself. And although Spiders are not designed for out and out performance, the sound from the twin cam, especially on the over run through its stainless exhaust will always bring a smile to your face.
In March last year, we treated the car to a full service at our local garage specialising in classic cars, when it was also MOTd. Since then it has only been driven just over 200 miles. We will arrange a new MOT shortly.
Tyres are in excellent condition with plenty of tread and generally there is nothing to do except enjoy the car.
It comes complete with a quality tailored indoor car cover with customised Alfa Spider logo, (see photo), an additional outdoor cover and a full Alfa Romeo workshop manual.
You may see a full album of photos here, including many of the extensive rebuild in progress: https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5s5nDTjRgZ5VWVu7
Viewing is welcome at any time in South Gloucestershire
- 33300 Miles
- RefCode: DIY1162306
Other Classic Alfa Romeo Spider Cars for Sale
The latest classic Alfa Romeo Spider cars for sale
- Refcode: TA1186917
- Refcode: TA1192895
- Refcode: TA1155442
- Refcode: TA1192753
- Refcode: TA1192377
- Refcode: TA1192026
- Refcode: TA1191472
- Refcode: TA1191427
- Refcode: TA1190984
- Refcode: TA1189174
The latest classic Alfa Romeo Spider cars for saleSee all ALFA ROMEO SPIDERs for sale