Sold by H&H at its Buxton sale on 24 May, the 1500 Special has covered just 6751 miles in the hands of its one and only private owner. The car was then donated to the Coventry Transport Museum in 1993 where it has subsequently been on display. It was offered for auction after it no longer fitted the museum's display policy.
Without MoT and tax since 1998, and in need of recommissioning, the car’s bodywork, paintwork and interior trim are described as "very good", but the engine and gearbox have not been tested, although both were described by the seller as "believed good”.
The front-wheel drive Allegro was British Leyland's replacement for the Issigonis-designed 1100 and 1300, and featured an evolution of the suspension developed for that car. Available as a two- or four-door saloon and three-door estate, it was powered by a range of the company's A- and E-Series engines ranging from 1100cc to 1750cc. A MK2 version was readied in time for the 1975 London Motorshow, which brought a welcome selection of improvements and upgrades. The so-called S2 1500 Special was in production from 1975 to 1979. Available in four-door form only, it was powered by a 1485cc engine of 68bhp mated to either a five-speed manual gearbox or four-speed automatic transmission.