1931 MORRIS F TYPE FIRE ENGINE - £10,000
1931 Morris-Commercial F-Type Fire Engine
Registration Number: KJ 14
Chassis Number: 7151Z
Engine Number: A30689
Steering: Right Hand Drive
MOT Test Expiry: Exempt
Road Tax Exempt
E G Wrigley and Co supplied William Morriss original company, WRM Motors Ltd, with axles and steering sets between 1913 1917. The commercial arm of Morris Motors was set up when William Morris purchased Wrigley in January 1924. Production of utility vehicles commenced immediately at the facility at Soho in Birmingham, taking over from low-level commercial manufacturing at the Cowley plant. The one-ton truck was the first vehicle launched from the factory, swiftly followed by others varying from 10cwt to 50cwt. In 1932, Morris Commercials moved to the Wolseley factory in Adderley Park.
Information on the history of this particular Morris F-Type has been passed to us by the vendor.
Four fire engines were manufactured by Beadles of Dartford in 1928, for the Dartford Rural District Council. These units were assigned to the parish of Stone and put into service in March 1931. Built on a 30cwt rolling chassis, the vehicles had a 102 wheelbase and a twin rear wheel axle, and were powered by a 17.9hp petrol engine. Our particular truck, KJ 14, was in service in Stone until the outbreak of war, when it was requisitioned by the NFS (National Fire Service). During the war years, it was operational in the Horton and Kirby areas in Kent and after the NFSs disbandment at the end of World War II, the fire engine became part of the countys fire brigade fleet. It is thought that during the 1950s, sixties and seventies, the vehicle passed through several owners and was used for a variety of purposes, although information on this period is vague. In 1980, a Mr Bromley purchased the Morris and with the assistance of fellow Kent Fire Brigade enthusiasts, the vehicle was restored, culminating in a successful HCVS London to Brighton run. We are informed that in 2002, KJ 14 suffered fire damage, ironically, unfortunately resulting in a Category F loss. A Mr Tucker purchased the vehicle after a long term restoration project commenced (including an engine rebuild) and the super F-Type was returned to the road in fine fettle in 2011.
The current custodian bought the Fire Engine in 2014 and continued with a programme of improvements, including fabricating new rear mudguards, rebuilding and refitting the original brass carburettor, re-tuning and setting-up the engine, and overhauling and refitting the speedometer. Apparently, the tyres have had little used since they were fitted.
This important historic commercial is supplied with the V5C registration certificate and pictures taken of the vehicle in 1931, 36 and 37, as well as another taken during its restoration.
The Morris has been used for vehicle rallies and proved its reliability on several vintage road runs in recent years. Ideal for the man who has almost everything!
Please Note: the dimensions of the vehicle are: Length: 16, Width: 62, Height (with ladder): 710, Height (without ladder): 68
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR FULL INFORMATION....
- 0 Miles
- RefCode: TA1091582